Thursday, February 9, 2012

How I became a lover of all things VINTAGE!!!!


(Images:  1, 2, 4-www.googleimages.com & 3-my wedding bouquet)

"I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day, and... I believe in miracles." ~Audrey Hepburn 

I was thinking these past few days about how I became the Vintage Loving Momma. I can distinctly remember my first encounter with vintage clothes, it was sometime around 1990, I had been at my grandparents house during Winter Break.  I was going with some family to the Dallas Mavericks game and we stopped to pick up my uncle.  There I met a woman who did Vintage Fashion Shows, there were clothes, circa 1900-1920 and I was in LOVE!!  She agreed to bring some things over the next day and let me try them on, she did, and we took lots of photos. (I'll spare you the pics, it was the 90's, I was barely 13, I grew up in Dallas, I had an affinity for big bangs and aqua net, not a good combo!!)  I remember thinking these clothes were so so beautiful, that the detail was unbelievable and I couldn't believe that they were in such immaculate condition.  I "modeled" (for lack of a better term) in several Vintage Fashion Shows that were part of our local Historical Society Spring Style Shows over the next few years.  I have always had a love for frilly, girly, beautiful things, and I've been intrigued by vintage/antique things.  Homes, housewares, clothes, jewelry, everything. I love Hollywood Glamour, Audrey Hepburn, Marilyn Monroe, beautiful women who's beauty has proven to be timeless.  I can thank my Momma for that!! :)  Part of it is just who I am, and I'm sure it's equally thanks to being exposed to these things growing up.  The 3rd picture in the collage is my wedding bouquet, it's not the best picture but the one I could find this morning!!  Those are knobs from Anthropologie, it is so beautiful, and so me.  I have it in a vase in our hutch where it will remain safe until someday my sweet girl can use it for her wedding, should she chose. My love for all things vintage spills over into my wardrobe, into decorating our home, and especially into my booth at EVERY market!!  I have old Samsonite Suitcases I picked up at Indie Genius (a local shop I LOVE!!) antique frames, some from Jefferson and some from local shops, old drawers and milk glass.  I just love the way these things feel, the mood they create.  I love mixing the old with the new and creating a space where I feel comfortable and beautiful and people are drawn in.  

Sooooo, this past week I've been cutting, cutting and cutting some more.  Dresses, aprons, totes, skirts, and working on tons of rosettes and flowers getting things all ready for assembly of a ton of hair accessories.  There are days when I try to work without a "list", that doesn't work for me, I need some kind of goals in front of me to stay focused.  I have so many ideas right now and I can't possibly focus all that creative energy without some structure.   I found this amazing Blog Planner that is going to help keep me organized and focus!!  So thankful to her for sharing!!  Remember, through the end of February, Vintage Loving Momma is having a sale!! 20% off your entire purchase in my etsy shop when you use LOVE20 at checkout.  So stop by and pick up something pretty at a great price!! 

Like Audrey says, "happy girls are the prettiest girls"  so smile, it makes you beautiful!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment